Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Wow. Just, Wow.

Overheard:

My stepson has issues with being talkative at school and was diagnosed ADHD. He is 12 now (has lived with us since he was 9), so our consequences for this started when he was a little older than your son. He has since matured enough that the psychiatrist has said that he no longer needs ADHD meds, but must work to control his behaviors on his own. He is incredibly intelligent and knows better than to talk at school when it isn't appropriate.

He knows that if he gets in trouble at school for talking, he loses the privilege of speaking at our home for the evening. He must raise his hand and wait to be acknowledged (unless someone is bleeding or is in imminent danger) or he is given push-ups, sit-ups, etc.

If we have to go out, I've got labels printed which state "I'm not trying to be rude, but I cannot speak to you. I've lost the privilege since I would not maintain control of my mouth/speech today at school." He wears them without complaining.

5 comments:

  1. Glad they arent my parents. I would have been covered head to toe in labels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's one of those times where I think the punishment doesn't do much to solve the problem, and damages the relationship with the parent. Not a good call in MY book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that it's abuse. One thing I have to say.... if parents want a relationship with their adult children, they need to be sure not to harvest resentment at an early age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "He wears them without complaining."

    If I were that kid I wouldn't complain, either. Imagine what the consequences of THAT would be!

    ReplyDelete